so I was off again in Heidelberg. I wanted to take a boat tour at 11:30 so that it would be done in time for me to walk around a bit by the river and still make it to the train station in time to meet Christina after her conference. so around 10:20 I make my way down Hauptstrasse to Bismarckplatz to catch the bus to the Altesbruecke. well, as usual, I miss the bus every time by about a minute, so I decide to walk. yikes. after an entire day of walking around france, my feet were not keen to walk around germany as well. so I walk to the river and then along it for for-ev-er, limping a bit from the gi-normous blister on the ball of my foot. I get to the platform for the boat tour around 11:15 but I ended up not taking the tour afterall becuase it just wasn't up to the standard that I expected after the boat tour in france. it was lacking...lacking a boat. I arrive with my brochure to have a nice seated relaxing ride on the river and getting to see all the famous parts of Heidelberg and hear about the city, but no. bad information/incorrect brochure from the lady in tourist information. strike 2 against her. I had fun in heidelberg, just a bit of bad luck with the people I met. then I decided that I would walk around in that section of town because I hadn't been this far yet. coincidentally, a few blocks straight from the river, put me in about the place I had been when I started out for Bismarckplatz. so I went the opposite direction in hopes of finding *something* new, and I totally stumbled across the big church and Dem Rot Ochsen, both places Christina and I were supposed to go after we met. I made it back to the Bismarckplatz to catch a bus to the Hauptbahnhof, but as usual, just missed the busses that went there, so opted to wait for the 1:29 even though I was supposed to meet Christina at 1:30, but I figured she would understand since her blisters had recently healed from Berlin 2 weeks prior. Christina arrived about 5 minutes later than I did and we both had the complaint that the busses just took forever to go anywhere so no harm done in being late.
we dropped her backpack off at my hotel and got an extra room, because the hostel in heidelburg is NOT good, and this was fortunately done with hotel owner guy's son-in-law. we hopped back on the bus and headed to Bismarckplatz and walked all the way down to the Heidelberg Church. We went inside and sat down to admire the architecture and the stained glass. this building was truely unique because of the stained glass. the windows on the right were done in traditional stained glass, save the one in the very back which was traditional except that is said E=mc^2 which we guessed to represent the unification of theology and physical science. (we didn't go as far to assume that they were trying to represent the church accepted all science....) the windows on the left side of the church were done in a style of modern art. pieces of broken glass and computer images on cellophance were placed between two sheets of clear glass. One window was a stack of books with a laptop and a comet. evesdropping on the tour that was sitting nearby told us that the window was supposed to represent the advances in technology and the comet for how the wisemen found the baby jesus.
since we're in germany, everything has to close by 6:30, so we head on over to dinner at the Red Ox Inn. we didn't get the whole college tavern feel I was hoping for, but it was still a really cool place. there were drinking songs and these ladies were taking shots and so there were all sorts of screams and such, but basically yay for german drunk people.
new food:
jagersnitzel
spaezle
pfefferlingen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment